Changing Horses In the Middle of the Stream

Most of you know that I have been a college student since I began posting here at Opera. I recently began a Master's program and just a few weeks ago, I changed the direction I was going, entirely.

I am going to be a teacher, instructor, mentor, college professor. In my mind, most of those words are interchangeable. Mark Twain said, “Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education”. The challenge for me is that I haven’t been an instructor before other than a short stint as a software trainer with my employer. The question in my mind is, can I be a good effective teacher, instructor, college professor or what ever role I eventually obtain as a result of this master’s program?

When I was a child, I dreamed of being a teacher because those ladies and men who stood in front of the classroom and gave us their knowledge seemed larger than life. As I grew to adulthood, I heard from many people, “Those who can’t do, teach,” and I am sorry to admit that the phrase clouded my judgment and as a result I gave up my dream for many years. This newly awakened dream is still in the infant stages and I haven’t pinned down a precise direction I am going, other than majoring in Post Secondary and Adult education.

Finally, when the naysayers approach me to ask, “What do you want to do that?” I can tell them, because it is something that I have always wanted to do, secretly, deep inside and I am finally old enough to realize your opinion doesn’t matter to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Car Repair Guys Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb?

Sleep Disorders