I know, right?

Filed under the category of "The Odder By-ways of the American English Language":

I know, right? has become the new catch-all phrase if someone agrees with something. A friend may say to you, "That dress you are wearing is the most hideously ugly thing on this planet," and it has become fashionable to respond with, "I know, right?" or "Zombies will eat your face," "I know, right?"

This phrase has moved into suprising circles. A college professor at the school where I work was caught (by mne) saying that very thing.

Professor 1: It is going to rain today.
Professor 2: I know, right?
Me: It is raining already.
Professors 1 & 2: I know, right?

These are the same people who taught their students that using a double negative in a sentence was wrong. "It is never not going to rain," means the same thing as "It is going to rain."

These are the same people who taught their students that using two positives in a sentence never means a negative.

To that I say, "Yeah, right."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Car Repair Guys Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb?

Sleep Disorders