What's a Girl to do?

OK. I confess. I joined a dating site with the hope of finally (a long last) meeting the love of my life.

I have to admit. The bastards won.

I was in contact with a man who seemed to be very interested and exchanged several emails with me...he was educated, an art dealer, seemed classy from his emails. Then, he asked me to send him money. LOTS of money. We had not even reached the stage of talking on the phone when he asked me for money. I don't mean to get on a rant here and most people who read my blog know that I do not rant very often, but...

I am thoroughly cheesed off by this character for a number of reasons. First, how could someone actually attempt to take advantage of someone like this? Worse, how could he assume that I was stupid enough to fall for his crap? What does this say about our world that a person (presumably a man) could be so greedy they would try to scam someone. Obviously, if I had sent him the money he asked for, he would do one of two things... hang on to try to get more or I would never hear from him again, likely the latter.

Never hearing from him again is a foregone conclusion because I already blocked him so he cannot contact me, again and I reported him to the dating site. He will be banned from there. Right now, just the thought that I ever sent him even one email makes me cringe with embarassment. Still, I can't help but wonder how many others this cretin has tried this with. I can't help but wonder how many thousands of dollars he ripped off just by writing a few emails? I can't help wonder how many unsuspecting women fell for smooth writing style.

I know it won't make any difference to anyone, but to Mr. Cedric Pratt of London, England and Wixom, Michigan, SHAME ON YOU! SHAME ON YOU!

For my part, I am finished. Less than a month has passed on my six month contract (29 days to be precise) and I just canceled my account. What a waste of money! Still, I would rather be alone the rest of my life than have to deal with these predators for another second. The dating site doesn't care because they got their money and it is just my tough luck if I had a bad experience. They refuse to refund any of my money. In fact, they wanted to give me an extra month of service. I was like, "No way!"

The old question remains, however... where does a woman go to meet a nice man? I may never find out.

Comments

K4: I'm so sorry to hear you had to deal with such a horses ass! And it does beg the question of how many women have been swindled by this loser. I'm glad you turned him in.
Karen Pope said…
Hello Maven,

Thanks! I also wonder if he has more than one "dating" profile. It is scary to think about. My son told me about a woman who he met on Match and she said if he didn't send her 20,000 she would come to the States and kill him. He said he wasn't worried. That if he didn't send her the money, she couldn't afford to come to the sates, anyway.
Debbie said…
What a horrible experience. I'm amazed that people are so mean. And as for meeting men, you know my advice - a brewery. But, that may only work for me.
Suzie said…
Thats awful. What a scam. Im glad you reported him!
I know that is sucky but I am such a beliver of online dating!! I think the stigma is gone nowadays and I have met some wonderful men online including my boyfriend. but I would recomend reading my post about online dating codes, what they say and what they really mean before giving it another chance...an you soo should give it another chance!!!

Thanks so much for the link and for reading my blog!! : )
Lori said…
I cannot even imagine asking someone for money, let alone someone I had never officially met and just met online. There sure are all kinds in this world.

When I was single, not that long ago, my friend wanted me to do the on-line dating thing but I refused since I met losers way to easily the good old fashioned way...lol. I know there are a lot of successful stories of people meeting on-line. This friend ended up meeting her husband this way and they will now be married 3 years. My brother met a great woman on-line and they are getting married in October. My husbands best friend met a great woman on-line and they are now getting married in May.

I know there are a lot of loser people that are trying to hook up on-line but I know there are some good fish out there too. But, I do understand your fears and frustration with this. Good luck!

Oh yeah...thank you for stopping by my place!

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Car Repair Guys Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb?

Sleep Disorders