Sorry, Wrong Number

I get really passionate about some things and then I have to spend a few minutes discussing it here in blog-ville.

I have a very important job where I work... I do Search Engine Optimization, which means I get to write articles and I get to blog at work. So very cool. Every now and then, in between blogging about steel building construction, and water fowl on the Outer Banks, I can slip in my own blog where I can have some FUN. Well, not this week because I was too busy for that sort of trivial nonsense.

But, I digress.

Also part of my job is answering the phone. I wasn't hired as a receptionist/gatekeeper. I feel into the job because of my charming personality, my ability to make GOOD coffee, (I think the guys at work screw it up on purpose so I will continue to make fabulous coffee. Did I mention I am the only girl there?) and the fact that I have a charming phone voice, and excellent social skills.

Being a SUPER HIGH TECH WEB DESIGN company that designs websites for the rich and famous, we have a number of printed publications that arrive via US Mail to the office and clutter up the analog inbox. I sort through this pile of dead trees, keep ones that I may want to read on my coffee break and toss the others out. I think Bossman signed up for every free publication on planet earth... and a few other planets as well.

Again, I am digressing. I WILL get to my rant! Trust me!

Anywho, the owners of these so called FREE publications periodically out-source the task of contacting every recipient to ask if their information is still correct. I got six (not kidding) calls this week from six (not kidding) companies wanting me to verify my information.

Now, I have nothing against out-sourcing, but please, for the love of all that's holy, can somebody, somewhere out-source to a person who can actually speak ENGLISH? Is that too much to ask?

Me: Good morning, this is the SUPER HIGH TECH WEB DESIGN company. How can I help you.
Caller: I wish to speak with Ro...Ro....Rog...Ron....Rob...Ros.. Ross WilL...Roswall... Rosenthal... Rosencrantz...Reynaldi (All with a THICK Indian accent)
Me: Who do you wish to speak to?
C: I am very sorry. I cannot pronounce the name.
Me: Or any other English word, apparently.
C: Are you a manager?
Me: Me? Naw, I just answer the phone.
C: Who makes the purchasing decisions?
Me: Now that depends on what's being purchased. I choose what toppings will come on the pizza for our Office Wide Monday Afternoon Pizza Soiree and Business Meeting. Does that count?
C: Very good. Are you also the person who makes decisions about magazines?
Me: You mean do I decide which ones go into the trash? Yes. That is me.
C: Very good. I would like to verify your address.
Me: Fine by me.
C: This be business called SUPER HIGH TECH WEB DESIGN?
Me: Yes.
C: Is the number 1234?
Me: Is what number 1234?
C: Is the Room number 1234?
Me: Room number?
C: Yes. The number of the room.
Me: OH, THAT number. Thank you for clarifying.
C: Is that the correct number?
Me: If I knew what the number was really for, I could tell you if it is correct.
C: It is the number of the room.
Me: Is that just like a room number?
C: Yes.
Me:.....
C: Is the number correct?
Me:.......
C:.......
Me:.....
C: Is that the correct room number?
Me: You know something? This is a business and I have work to do, not being a real recpetionist who does nothing all day but answer the phone and dilly-dally with nail polish.
C: Very good. Is the number correct?
Me: Apparently, you don't listen in English, either. I got a two-fer. A person on the phone who cannot speak OR understand English.
C: Very good. Is the number correct?
Me: See what I mean?
C: Very good. Is the number correct?
Me: Is there someone there who can hit you in the back of the head? You sound like a stuck record.
C: Very good. Is this the correct number?
Me: That is a good tactic. Rewording the sentence will make me understand you better.
C: Are you the person who makes purchasing decisions?
Me: You already asked me that. Oh, crap, you went back to the beginning of the script. You know what? I can't deal with you right now. Thank you for calling.

And I hung up on the person, not realizing that the owner of the SUPER HIGH TECH WEB DESIGN company was lurking just around the corner.

Bossman: If that was a customer, you are so fired.
Me: It wasn't my idea to put me on the phone.
B: What did they want?
Me: Verification of a room number.
B: What room number?
Me: See? That was my question.
B: What was your question?
Me: What room number?
B: We don't have a room number.
Me: I know that and you know that but apparently the Out-sourced, no-English-language-speaking, sari-wearing, on-the-phone-mumbling, room number verifier doesn't know that.
B: And that is why I want you to answer the phone. So I don't have to deal with those phone calls.
Me: I want a raise.

Comments

Simon Jester said…
A Raise?

You should pay for this kind of material. All I ever get is automated voices telling me the warranty on my 1984 pickup is about to expire.
xDashofPanachex said…
My favorite lately was the opera company calling me and asking for donations, saying "we're only asking for $1,000." I then asked them to make a note on the file they have on me, so that they know that I'm a broke-ass college student who only went to one show and that was because of class. Guy was a native, but it was hilarious hearing him go "OH!" and then have to listen to me explain, very calmly, how I'm not his target audience. heh.

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Car Repair Guys Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb?

Sleep Disorders