iPod Crime is on the Rise

I heard a news report on the radio as I drove into work yesterday about how iPod users are being mugged more and more often. Not only do the muggers take money from the person, they take the iPod as well. Evidently, the iPod is a new status symbol of wealth and/or prosperity and the average mugger takes that as a sign that the iPod user has more money than the average person. Personally, if I were a mugger, I would think the iPod user probably just bought an iPod instead of paying the rent. 

I could be wrong, but I would never take that as an outward sign of wealth.  For my part, I would be looking for Pierre Cardin Driving Boots.

I realize it is incredibly easy to mug an iPod user as they obliviously stroll along the street. All one has to do is to stick their foot out and DOWN the iPod user goes. (Please understand, I am not trying to give any would-be muggers any ideas, here.) Once the iPod user is on the sidewalk, then the assailant can proceed with the theft.

As a theft deterrent on a car, there is a sticker that says something on the order of "Protected by an Anti-Theft Device." That would be enough to discourage me, should I decide to start boosting cars for a living, mostly because I would be totally uncertain what the anti-theft device would do to me... chop off my hands at the wrist?  Spray something disgusting 
on my clothes?

Anywho...

So, why not have a warning label on the iPod to protect it from would-be muggers. Something like, "Warning: Contains more than one track by New Kids on the Block."

Comments

Simon Jester said…
Around here, our outward sign of wealth is a full set of teeth (natural or purchased).

You might think by looking around that it was a new pickup truck, but everyone has one of those, except the very poorest: like me.
Karen Pope said…
I don't consider and iPod a sign of wealth... I own one.
Bee said…
I don't know, NKOTB would make me WANT to steal the iPod even more.

My little brother (25) was mugged on the train and they took his iPod. You're right, he's one of those that bought it instead of buying food. ;o)
Karen Pope said…
Oh, my gosh! Mugged? On the train? And they took his iPod! Shoulda had the warning label.

How about, "Warning: This iPod contains more than track by Oingo Boingo."
jiji said…
yikes! my warning label would be: contains at least two britney spears albums.

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Car Repair Guys Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb?

Sleep Disorders